Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Toddlers and Tiaras

pageant.

you think of hairspray

big hair

3 year olds wearing make up

crazy pageant mothers living through their children

gay guys

rigged competitions

a lot of tears

and a whole lot of fake

i thought the same thing for the longest time..until i decided to compete in one.
i did it for the scholarship. for my pure desperation of financial aid for college.

as time went on i learned so many lessons about myself and also got really involved with some charities and good causes.

at the end of the day i loved every minute of it. even though i didnt win it brought so much good into my life!!!

but the part that meant the very most to me happened after a girl was crowned and all the glamour was taken off.

when i made the final 5 i was asked what my biggest fear was

"my biggest fear is grasshoppers"

i paused as everyone started to laugh

"they just jump out of no where and deflect off of you!!!! its a legitimate fear!!!"

that was how i will be remembered and the moment that made everyone fall for me because i was a real human being.

i was walking out of the dressing room with my stuff in my hands and my flowers and awards wearing my sneakers and some leggings looking just like any other normal person.

i had a mom come up behind me and say that her daughter has been looking for me for the past few minutes because she wants to have a picture with me! i was so ecstatic because i love kids and love knowing that i made a positive impact on this girl...

so i placed all of my things on the ground and walked to the little girl and handed her my bouquet of flowers, knelt on the ground next to her and smiled

*flash*

the little girl turned to me instantly after with the biggest smile on her face and said

"will you let me be your friend? i can show you that grasshoppers really arent that scary!"

I laughed and absorbed the moment. gave her a hug and her mom as well and we parted our ways.

but that was the highlight of my weekend.

so if you are like me and think that pageants are for pretend barbie doll girls (doesnt mean they dont enter) then i ask you to see the bigger picture like i learned to do.

its about being someone for these girls to relate to and look up to
instilling a hope that they too someday can be an amazing beautiful loving lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment